Comedy and Tragedy


Big changes are ahead...

Three files with about 100 pages of forms and essays have been transferred and approved.  I've written about 10 additional new pages.  Nine reference forms have been filled out.  A background check has been conducted.  Two psychological evaluations have been transferred.  I’ve been in front of 5 committees and had three individual interviews.

I've had more vetting than Obama's Supreme Court nominee, but alas my clergy candidacy has been transferred from the WI conference to the MN conference.  And the reason?  I'm being appointed the Woodbury/Peaceful Grove United Methodist Church as a ¾ time associate pastor starting in June.  This is exciting on its own, but wait, there’s more…  It also means we will be moving this summer to Mahtomedi where Paul teaches. 

As I reflect on this decision, the drama symbol keeps coming to my mind… you know, that image of the comedy and tragedy masks?  In one moment, we are grieving.   In the next moment, we are filled with joy over the upcoming opportunities.

Tragedy
We originally bought our home in Somerset on a 7-year balloon mortgage.  In 2000, seven years felt like an eternity!  We were absolutely certain we'd be moving within 3 years.  Three years turned to seven, seven to ten, and ten to fifteen.  And somehow, as time ticked by, Somerset became our community.  The little library, the 6-aisle grocery store, and local pizza joint all became part of what we considered home.  It was a rather easy fit since we are both from small towns. 

We brought three babies home to this house!  The house was just the right size for a young family of 3, but fifteen years ago we could never have imagined we would be raising teens here.  We've made this house ours and expanded it as our family grew by finishing the basement and remodeling the main living area ourselves, picking features that suited us.

Those babies… well, two are teens now and the third is resisting growing up with all her might.  Because Paul and I were raised in MN, he and I barely see ourselves from Wisconsin.  Somerset-ians, yes.  Wisconsinites, not so much.  But the three offspring don’t hesitate to proudly claim Wisconsin as home.  It’s the only thing they’ve known, and like their mom and dad, they seek comfort and familiarity.  So this decision has been especially difficult on them--tears, yelling, locking themselves in bedrooms.  (Did I mention two are teens?)  With time, the emotions have settled, and we may have even seen some glimmers of excitement from them about the changes.

I can't leave this section without saying something about Somerset Schools.  We have nothing but praise for the remarkable teachers and staff of the district.  It was a privilege for me to work in the district for 4 years.  Our kids have been supported by countless coaches, advisors, and directors, and from within the larger community, we have had a fabulous piano teacher and great scout leaders. 

Yes leaving is going to be very hard.  But…

Comedy

For all the reasons we love Somerset, the reality is we aren’t living the life we dreamed about when we got married.  We never thought we’d be spread over 4 communities and commuting in all directions.  And while it’s not perfect (whatever “perfect” is), this change will hopefully bring us closer to the values that were important to us when we did our early dreaming.

Our move will be to Mahtomedi, and while there will be some adjustment to dad and kids being in the same school, we know the wonderful benefits of being educators in the district of your kids.  I experienced it as a child and then got to experience it for 4 years as a parent.  Now it’s Paul’s turn. 

And now to the reason for the move: I’m thrilled about the church I’m becoming a part of!  This last winter, I happened to be in the Woodbury area one Sunday morning running errands.  I knew just a little bit about Woodbury United Methodist, so I thought I’d hit worship as I passed by.  It was strange… I felt oddly comfortable during worship.  Sitting in the parking lot preparing to leave, I thought to myself, “I wonder if I’d ever get appointed here.”  The very next day I got an email from the MN conference about the possibility of the Woodbury/Peaceful Grove appointment.  The community felt right—right from the start.  As I started to meet with the lead pastor and conference about the church, my original inklings were confirmed.  I've been thinking about the folks of this community for 8 weeks now, and got to see many of their shining faces tonight during the appointment meeting. 

I’m sure there will be shifting as I become integrated into the community, but my first responsibilities will be hospitality/community-building, communication/messaging, worship team development, and preaching once per month.  I know!  How much more perfect can this be?!  I can’t wait to join with this community and grow with them.

Transition
We have lots and lots do to between now and September, not the least of, finding a house (or figuring out if we are serious about building).  Plus, there are schools to talk to and coffees and sleepovers to have with friends.  And oh, don't forgot about packing and moving. 

We know the world has big problems that deserve  your prayers.  But if you are a praying or good vibe person, we’d certainly take any of it.  Change is not easy for anybody in the Christensen-Lamon household, so we’re hoping for a sense of peace and comfort around this.  It seems we are starting to feel it.

Comments

  1. Congratulations! Totally feeling the comedy tragedy reactions as we've adjusted to and embraced change in our past year and will continue to in the coming months. Wishing you all beautiful new beginnings and smooth transitions. Best vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Totally feeling the comedy tragedy reactions as we've adjusted to and embraced change in our past year and will continue to in the coming months. Wishing you all beautiful new beginnings and smooth transitions. Best vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Nelson household is thrilled for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Nelson household is thrilled for you guys.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kids in spring!

Was Jesus Polarizing?

PRIDE week communion