So how is seminary going?

Having finished my first semester at UTS, I am getting asked, "How is seminary going?"  The short answer... fabulous. 

I have to admit, the transition was a bit rough at first.  New schedules, new ways of thinking, new ways of writing.  It took me forever to complete every assignment, and I missed my old work place.  United is a very strange place.  People take every issue, every corner of their lives, seriously.  Talk about living intentionally.  The level of passion was a bit overwhelming.  When you walk into the cafe, nearly every table has a theological, ecclesiological, or political discussion occurring. And Bibles are opened in every study corner.   Yes, it took awhile to adjust.

But after about a month, I was adjusted; Paul was adjusted; and the kids were adjusted.  Assignments started to become easier.  I started to use words like "context," "social location," "exegete," "deconstruction," and "hermeneutical circle" without feeling funny.  I started to admire how my professors ordered every part of their lives, and started to realize that I needed to take some parts of my life more seriously too.  And then the biggest surprise...

I began to love the Old Testament.  I know.... crazy!  Going in, I thought I was going to love the theology classes (using resources to make sense of the mystical) and the pragmatic classes (education, pastoral care, finance, etc).  But it didn't take long for me to absolutely realize that the Bible classes were going to be my favorite.  Me?  A Bible scholar?!  Really?!  Don't get me wrong, I've liked the Bible, but I've hated how some Christians have turned it into an idol and weapon, and completely missed the message. 

My Bible class taught me: when stuff was written, what the sources are, why it was written, how it was redacted, how it was canonized, how to analyze it (through critical techniques), and how to understand its meaning in my own context.  I NOW know what to do with the Bible.  I couldn't help but wonder, "I've grown up in the church, in progressive denomination who takes knowledge seriously.  So why the heck was I never taught this stuff?"  But now I know, and that is what is important.  I am grateful to be at a school which takes Bible literacy seriously.

Here is what I wrote in an essay: Many fundamental Christians say they love the Bible.  They will quote it when it suits their own interest, but ignore the parts that don't suit their own interest.  They say they love it, but how can you love something that you don't really know?  It's like knowing your husband has brown eyes, brown hair, and likes almond fudge ice cream, but not caring enough to know his parents, about his first girlfriend, or what his childhood was like.  If you say you love the Bible and use it as an authority source, then love it enough to know it, really know it.

I am so excited for what is ahead.  The pushing and pulling of God has been hard over the last three years.  Living in line with God's will is amazing!

And a big thank-you to Paul.... He is amazing.  He loves listening what I am learning and he loves discussing the issues with me too.  He has stepped up during night classes.  As some of my classmates have learned, seminary can be hard on the partner.  So, I am forever grateful that Paul "gets" me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kids in spring!

Was Jesus Polarizing?

PRIDE week communion