Wishing

When my kids were toddlers, I spent a lot of time wishing the time would go faster.  Looking back, those years were hard.  I was juggling many schedules, and while I loved my kids, the twos, threes, and fours were not my favorite years.

Now, during the last two years, I have been spending a lot of time wishing time would slow down.  I want to keep my kids these ages forever.  I find them so interesting and fun.  They love being with us, but are beyond needing us to take care of basic needs. 

I went with Samuel to a middle school field trip this fall.  It was just 5 months ago that I worked at this same middle school, so you would think I would know what middle school kids are like.  Yet, seeing Samuel among them made me so ... confused.  Where was my little boy?  Samuel was so great on the trip--he stuck by me and even when I asked him if he wanted to hang out with some friends, he said, "But I invited you to come so we could be together."  I wish I could keep him small--I really do.  And I know I baby my kids, especially when I see how other people parent their kids.  But really, I want them naive.  They will grow up soon enough.  BTW, Samuel is doing great at the middle school.  We are so proud of him.

This year I made the girls' Halloween costumes.  I committed to doing it one time, and as they get older, I know the years of costumes are becoming limited.  I think they are so fitting for their personalities (although Faith would have been a good zebra too, her second choice).  I wish the picture showed the back because Faith has a long scarf coming off her hat and Emilee has a tail.

Comments

  1. Pretty cute! Still wish my kids could use a real potty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you that you made their customs. You did a good job. MOM

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kids in spring!

Was Jesus Polarizing?

PRIDE week communion